Saturday, April 10, 2010

You can raise a child, but can you raise a plant?

I've always loved the idea of gardening, both of my grandma's were dedicated to their yards; Grammy like it was her youngest baby. So, when Rob and I got our first place together I was determined to have my own. That is until the man at home depot in New Braunfels stopped me in my tracks asking if I had a clue what I was doing. Could it really have been that obvious? He kindly, with a smirk on face, directed me to the bamboo and some other sort of plant that "can't die" for starters. My gardening desires came to a quick end when my bamboo turned brown and the flower on that other plant never bloomed.
Here I am 7 years later and I can proudly say I'm (so far) successfully growing my first herb garden! Yes it's just a little pot and yes it's only been 4 weeks but it makes me proud! My cilantro tastes like cilantro and my basil tastes like basil. I brought my "baby" home to Austin and all my taste tasters agreed :) I should admit my thyme is not exactly tasty, not even really growing...but who likes thyme anyway?

I painted this pot at my mommy's group. Makes for a cute little gift!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, I can raise children (especially girls), I can nurse sick animals to health, but grow anything that is green? never. I am the kiss of death to all existing flora. I remember when Ashley was in middle school, the mother of one of her friends gave me an ivy they've had in the family for almost 52 years, she guaranteed me that I could not kill it, no matter what I did. I tried wholeheartedly to return it panicking at what would happen if it died. No luck, I was stuck with the ivy and in 6 weeks it was as dead as a doornail, and so you know, the lady does not speak to me any more. I tried to tell her... I really did... I still have guilt over it and lost a friendship, oh well... Little children and animals are still welcome though!

    ReplyDelete