Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What's in a name?

Everything! That's why it has been SO difficult deciding on Baby Crain #2's official title. Andrew was too easy. We both loved the name from the very beginning, there wasn't much conversation about alternatives. Maybe being the first child is easy..."we'll put in to play other likable names with the next baby/babies". Knowing (now) that this is probably our last little offspring put more pressure on deciphering a name. At least on me. From the beginning of this pregnancy I've had a "thing" for this chosen name, as did Rob (yes, he has liked it all along!). There were several others I liked but, for one reason or another, couldn't come to LOVE. We sat down with ALL of my in-laws - Poppy, Nana, Kel, Aaron, all 3 nieces and even a longtime friend, Sam. Poppy went through every name in the book and I'm not joking when I say I had a reason NOT to name this baby a single one of those mentioned. They gave up on me! I can't blame them, but I also can not explain my aversion to 98% of names. It didn't help knowing that deep down Robbie really did like the chosen name.
Many of you know that we originally were not finding out the sex. That was until I went nutty making the bedding and decided I wanted to find out so that I could A) plan accordingly: colors, theme, etc, and B) have some of the paneling monogrammed. As you can see from previous posts, nothing was monogrammed. Why? We had no name! It came time to hang the name on the wall, which brings us to a couple of weeks ago - game time. It was time to buy the wooden letters to get painted and hung. These are the letters we came up with:


Dillon: A welsh name (nope, we have no welsh in us), meaning "born from the ocean" or "born near the sea". Of course, we didn't know this until after making the final decision, but (!)  the meaning is very appropriate due to our love for the ocean. We spent many of our best times as a couple on some beach, somewhere. We were married on the beach. I certainly wish our son could be born on the beach. So while the meaning can't give credit to our decision, at least it's fitting to our relationship as a couple ;) And I'm sure we'll instill the same kind of love for water in this little boy, Drew definitely favors being on the beach than anywhere!

We're expecting this baby soon and I have no "belly" shots of this entire pregnancy. I got to sit poolside and watch my boys play this Memorial Weekend and we got a shot! 33 weeks:


4 comments:

  1. I love your relational connection to the name Dillon. And love the name and love the baby and love you all!!! LoveyoubunchesMom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a beautiful pregnant mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dillion is a great name and you are so cute in a bathing suit! i look like a beached whale and i'm only about 6 months! so jealous of you!!
    :-) and, i have to say that i saw that suit at target and thought it was not cute but it is so stinking adorable when its on someone that i want to go buy it now!! you are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name Dillon!! And what a cute pic!! Such a cute swim suit and what a hot mamma in it! :)

    ReplyDelete